Andrew Dawson

BURLINGTON — The Burlington Chamber of Commerce believes chocolate is year-round, so a followup to Chocolate Fest is coming in hot this winter.

YORKVILLE — A local group home, where a resident died Dec. 14 after being struck by a car, has a history of issues according to a neighbor.

Elsie Weatherspoon, 53, was a resident at Eagle House, 807 53rd Dr., about two city blocks away from the site of the crash at Washington Avenue and 53rd Drive around 5:49 p.m.

According to Kathy Goldbeck, a neighbor of the home, Weatherspoon was followed in a van by Eagle House employees as she was running from the home when she ran into Washington Avenue and was hit by passing car.

"I just came out in my garage and I heard an awful sound," Goldbeck said. "I heard someone scream and yell help and I heard the driver yell, 'Oh my god I didn’t see her.' I knew immediately what happened because I saw the (Eagle House) van in the intersection." 

Golbeck said this is not the first time Eagle House has had residents running away. She said that was a problem this summer and that her brother's car was broken into and stolen by residents once. 

"They have many problems with residents taking off," Goldbeck said. "People are running around at all hours of the night."

For Weatherspoon, Goldbeck said her brother had observed Weatherspoon hitchhiking four hours prior to the incident. An hour and 15 minutes later, Golbeck's brother saw her again being dropped off at the home hours before she was killed.

"You would have thought they would have been on red alert when she got back if she had taken off hours earlier," Goldbeck said. "(The employees) get in vans and follow in vans. A man took off this summer and I was sitting with my friend year I remember saying, 'someone is going to get killed.'"

Goldbeck said the problems did not stop there. She once found out about a sex offender allegedly living at the home and her and her neighbors were never notified.

Eagle House owner Bob Lieberman said he could not comment on the Weatherspoon situation because of state confidentiality laws.

"We're under state law," Lieberman said. "The confidentiality of all residents that live in the home is important to us and we can't breach that." 

Lieberman also could not comment on the policy of how his organization handles run away residents because those plans are individualized for each resident.

"Anything regarding the incident that has to do with her treatment or support is confidential under state law," Lieberman said.

According to Department of Health Services Records, Eagle House obtained a license to operate in 1995 and has run there since. 

The Wisconsin Department of Health Services' Division of Quality Assurance said it is "not able to confirm, deny, or acknowledge if the department has received a complaint about a specific facility before we conduct an investigation."

Yorkville Town Chairman Pete Hansen was not aware of the incident or problems with Eagle House as of Friday but said the town may look into it in the future.

MOUNT PLEASANT — A man was able to save a hot rod, one with a lot of sentimental attachment for him, after his garage caught fire Tuesday night.

Deacon Willie Herdin watches as the choir sings at Sunday service with the pastor’s chair adorned with a black bow at Christ Chapel Missionary…

SOMERS — The University of Wisconsin-Parkside marked a record-setting commencement Saturday as 374 students were eligible for graduation, the …

View all

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News