Loosening restrictions and increasing public gatherings may make it seem as though the worst of the Covid-19 pandemic is over, but just this week Florida, Texas and Arizona set daily records for new cases.
The states are among 21 across the nation seeing increasing trends in new cases from one week to the next. More than 2 million people in the US have been infected with coronavirus and 116,962 have died, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. Health experts are warning that more infections and deaths are in store as states continue their reopening plans.
"We may be done with the pandemic, but the pandemic is not done with us," Dr. Ashish Jha, director of the Harvard Global Health Institute, said Tuesday.
Here's an update on all developments. Scroll or swipe further for in-depth coverage.
- China raised its emergency warning to its second-highest level and canceled more than 60% of the flights to Beijing on Wednesday amid a new coronavirus outbreak in the capital.
- As nations grapple with new outbreaks and spiking death tolls from the coronavirus, a commonly available drug appeared Tuesday to offer hope that the most seriously ill could have a better chance of survival.
- Vladimir Putin's spokesperson has confirmed that special disinfectant tunnels have been installed in the Kremlin and at the Russian President's residence outside Moscow due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- US home construction rebounded 4.3% in May after steep declines caused by shutdowns due to the coronavirus.
- Months into Iran's fight against the coronavirus, doctors and nurses at Tehran’s Shohadaye Tajrish Hospital still don a mask, a disposable hazmat suit and a double layer of latex gloves every day to attempt to contain a pandemic that shows no signs of slowing.
- In Sports ... NHL players won’t be expected to wear full face shields if games resume this summer, though there could be plenty of covered faces around them. ... NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Jarrett announced Tuesday he has tested positive for COVID-19 and now is in quarantine. ... The rate of positive coronavirus tests in the Orlando, Florida, area has been soaring in recent days. The NBA hopes that doesn’t impact its comeback plan.
For more summaries and full reports, please select from the articles below. Scroll further for maps and charts tracking the spread.
Travel tips during pandemic
A paramedic's 7 essentials for COVID-19 travel kit
Tracking the virus
Maps, charts and other data:
Concerned about COVID-19?
Sign up now to get the most recent coronavirus headlines and other important local and national news sent to your email inbox daily.