RACINE — A convicted sex offender accused last week of touching and making lewd expressions to a 15-year-old male McDonald’s employee has netted a new charge in connection with those allegations.
Adrian Fernandez, 62, of the 3000 block of Washington Avenue in Racine, was charged on Tuesday, May 31, as repeat offender, with second-degree sexual assault of a child under 16 years of age, and child enticement in connection with a series of incidents, which prosecutors say occurred between April 30 and May 1, at the fast-food establishment located at 3037 Douglas Ave.
A charge of felony stalking was added to those initial charges in an amended complaint filed Thursday in Racine County Circuit Court.
According to the initial criminal complaint, Fernandez, who according to court records was convicted of second-degree sexual assault in Kenosha County in 1984, allegedly followed the teen employee into the restaurant’s bathroom on April 30, made suggestive comments and then touched the worker’s buttocks.
The worker immediately left the bathroom and told the restaurant manager, the complaint states. The manager reportedly told Fernandez to leave the restaurant and said that police would be called if he showed up again, but Fernandez returned the next day, the complaint states. On that day he allegedly entered the bathroom, cracking the door and whispering for the teen to “come here.” Fernandez then approached the counter and made suggestive comments and gestures to the teen, the complaint states. Police were able to identify Fernandez by the license plate of his car, which the teen was able to write down during the second incident, the complaint states.
During a follow-up investigation it was learned that Fernandez was reportedly in the establishment “multiple times on (April 30) and again on May 1,” the amended complaint states.
Fernandez remained in Racine County Jail on Thursday night on a $25,000 bond, according to online jail records.
His preliminary hearing in the case has been set for 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday, June 15.
According to the amended criminal complaint filed on Thursday, June 9, police were notified about the incidents on May 2 when the teen's mother drove the teen to the Racine Police Department to report the assault.