RACINE — David Cunningham, a 28-year-old Racine man with a felony conviction on his record, has been arrested for Sunday night’s shooting of a 34-year-old woman on Bate Street, police said Tuesday afternoon.
Cunningham has a prior felony conviction for aggravated battery from 2011, and thus it would be illegal for him to have possessed a firearm. He also pleaded guilty to misdemeanor battery and two counts of disorderly conduct in 2013.
Cunningham’s 2011 conviction, for pointing a gun at the father of his girlfriend when Cunningham was 20 years old, led to a three-year probation sentence, according to a September 2011 Journal Times report.
You have free articles remaining.
At that sentencing, the victim told the judge that imprisonment wouldn’t help Cunningham: “He’s a good kid. I’ve known him since he was this high,” the father said, acknowledging that Cunningham needed mental-health treatment. “When he did have the medication, he’s a sweet kid.”
Police said that the victim of Sunday night’s shooting still only had a “50-50” chance of survival as of Tuesday afternoon.
At about 9 p.m. Sunday, police responded in force to the 3000 block of Bate Street, between Taylor Avenue and West Boulevard. Officers located a female victim at the scene suffering from a gunshot wound.
The Racine Police Department is recommending charges of attempted first-degree intentional homicide and possession of a firearm by a felon.
No charges had been formally filed as of 2 p.m. Tuesday.