Skip to main contentSkip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.

57-year-old man allegedly tried to rob Lee's Deli with stolen gun

  • 0

RACINE — A 57-year-old man allegedly tried to rob Lee’s Deli, 2615 Washington Ave., Wednesday.

Scott Hemphill


Scott C. Hemphill, of the 1600 block of Flett Ave., Racine, was charged with a felony count of attempted armed robbery and a misdemeanor count of carrying a concealed weapon.

According to a criminal complaint:

On Wednesday, officers were sent to Lee’s Deli at 2615 Washington Ave. for a robbery in progress.

Officers arrived and spoke to employees who said a man came into the store, selected chips and a soda and placed them on the counter, but then, as he was being rung up, pulled out a gun and pointed it at the cashier. He was waving the handgun and racked it. He eventually fled the store.

#6 - Lee's Deli, 2615 Washington Ave., Racine

A customer places a sandwich order at Lee's Deli on Aug. 30, 2016. 

Officers located the man in a red Ford Escape, removing clothes and throwing them in the car. The man was identified as Hemphill and was taken into custody. He admitted to having a gun in the glovebox, and it was later learned the gun was reported stolen out of Shelby County, Tennessee. Hemphill does not have a valid concealed carry license.

Hemphill was given a $15,000 cash bond in Racine County Circuit Court on Thursday. A preliminary hearing is on Aug. 10 at the Racine County Law Enforcement Center, online court records show.


Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Two teenagers, ages 19 and 16, arrested Thursday are accused of shooting into a crowd during a burial in Graceland Cemetery on the afternoon of June 2, the Racine Police Department said Friday. The 19-year-old has been identified as Lamarion D. Blair. Blair was out of custody on $1,000 cash bond at the time of the shooting, court records indicate, and also was in custody after the shooting but got out on a $1,500 bond as it appears law enforcement had not yet eyed him as a suspect in the shooting that made international headlines.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alert

Breaking News