RACINE — About $3,000 damage resulted from a fire Tuesday morning at a commercial building in the Uptown area.

The fire, which was reported at about 9:15 a.m., originated on the second floor of the building at 1232 Washington Ave. on pallets holding folded cardboard, Racine Fire Department Lt. Mike Moss said.

A sprinkler system put out the fire, which produced a lot of smoke because of plastics and other materials involved, Moss said. The building is used for storage by HFI Fluid Power Products, 1210 Washington Ave., Moss said.

The area was not occupied at the time of the fire and nearby workers were able to exit unharmed. No injuries were reported.

As of Tuesday afternoon, the Fire Department was still investigating the incident, including who had access to the floor before the fire started.

Washington Avenue was closed at 12th Street until about 11:40 a.m. while firefighters worked at the scene, Moss said.

Get the latest local news delivered daily directly to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
0
0
0
0
0

Load comments