July 7, 1911 Gov. Francis E. McGovern signs state Continuation School Law.
Nov. 2, 1911 Racine Continuation School opens. It is the first state-supported continuation school in the nation.
1917 State continuation schools change name to vocational schools.
1928 Racine Vocational School buys site at 800 Center St.
January 1931 For the first time, all of Racine Vocational School's classes are under one roof as it moves into its new building at 800 Center St.
1937 To reflect the aim of serving adult students, the state vocational school boards change their names to Vocational and Adult Education boards.
1953 The Adult Education School is organized in Racine.
July 1, 1967 School opens adult education centers in Burlington, Union Grove and Waterford.
July 1, 1969 Racine school changes name to Racine Technical Institute.
July 1, 1971 Racine County merges with Kenosha and Walworth counties to form District 6 becomes known as Gateway Technical Institute.
July 1971 Racine Technical Institute starts construction of five-story technical building on land around the lakefront, at 1001 S. Main St.
1974 Racine Institute is accredited on its new lakeshore campus (now Gateway).