After lawsuit, 2011 funds could replenish account

After lawsuit, 2011 funds could replenish account

  • 0
{{featured_button_text}}

RACINE — The city may be able to use funds left over in its 2011 judgment and claims account to replenish its now empty 2012 judgment and claims account.

The Finance and Personnel Committee on Monday unanimously recommended moving the just more than $118,000 currently in the 2011 account into the city’s 2012 account.

The City Council voted in February to settle for $220,000 a lawsuit with Racine resident, Rebecca Turk. In her complaint against the city, Turk claimed she suffered “severe” personal injuries and damage when was hit in 2007 by a city employee driving a city car.

Under the settlement, the city was responsible for paying $175,000 and its insurer was responsible for the remaining $45,000.

The city’s share wiped out its 2012 judgments and claims account, which had a remaining available balance of $140,740. An additional $35,000 — transferred from the city’s contingency account — was also handed over to cover the settlement.

Deputy City Attorney Scott Letteney said Monday that moving the 2011 money over will ensure the city is able to address any future claims it may have this year.

“We would just like to move (the funds) forward in case we need (them) for some reason this year — nothing anticipated specifically but things come up,” he said.

0
0
0
0
0

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Law enforcement will not be randomly stopping vehicles to ask where they are going, according to the Racine County Sheriff's Office. Law enforcement is more likely to intervene if there are crowds, flagrant violations or employees being asked to report to work in-person where the business is not supposed to be open or appropriate social distancing precautions are not taking place. 

A total of 457 confirmed cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in Wisconsin, Wisconsin Department of Health Services Secretary Andrea Palm announced Tuesday afternoon, up 41 cases from Monday's total.

The total count of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Racine County did not increase and is still at five people. Milwaukee County still has the highest number of cases with 219, followed by Dane County with 72 and Waukesha County with 31. Kenosha County has 13 cases, up from five on Saturday. Walworth County has four confirmed cases. 

No new deaths were reported in Wisconsin so the state total remains at five people. The three most recent deaths all occurred in Milwaukee County. The first two deaths were in Fond du Lac and Ozaukee counties.

Between Saturday and Sunday, the number of confirmed cases in Wisconsin rose from 281 to 381. On Monday, Gov. Tony Evers issued a "Safer at Home" order statewide.

As of 2 p.m. Tuesday, 8,694 total COVID-19 tests had been completed in Wisconsin, with 8,237 coming back negative, according to DHS.

Thirty of Wisconsin's 72 counties have at least one confirmed case of COVID-19.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alert

Breaking News