KENOSHA — Kenosha’s Tall Ship Red Witch is offering special themed sails. The 49-passenger Red Witch offers 70-minute public sailing excursions and private charters on Lake Michigan through the summer season. In addition to the regular day sails, sunset sails and happy hour sails, special events on the 2019 calendar include:
- Children’s Pirate Sails at 1 p.m. Aug. 24.
- Dog Sails at 1 p.m. Aug. 25.
- Theatrical sails feature Shakespeare’s “The Tempest” Aug. 15, 20, 22, 27 and 29, and Sept. 3 and 5. Five actors will portray 20 roles while sailing.
- A Drum Circle at 9 p.m. Aug. 9 and 31. This will be led by two renowned percussionists.
- Full Moon Sails on Aug. 15 and Sept. 14.
- Moonlight Sails on Aug. 17 and 29 and Sept. 13.
- Twilight Sail on Aug. 22.
- Costume Party at 9 p.m. Aug. 24.
Concerts aboard Red Witch include:
- Solo guitarist/singer Colby Millea at 9 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. Aug. 23.
- Celtic band D’Rogues at 4 p.m. Aug. 25 and 5 p.m. Sept. 8.
- Solo guitarist/singer Matt Meyer Sept. 5.
- Energetic jam band Earthmother at 9 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. Aug. 30.
Excursions depart from Kenosha’s south harbor wall, 54th Street and Fifth Avenue. Go to www.redwitch.com.
Red Witch is a replica of a Great Lakes working schooner from the mid-19th century, is 77-feet long and weighs 41 tons. Her two gaff-rigged masts carry 2,500 square feet of sail. Made of wood, Red Witch was built in 1986 in Bayou La Batre, Ala., at the boatyard of Nathaniel Zirlott, a commercial boat builder known for building rugged ocean boats.