RACINE — There are more than 200 kids in Racine and Kenosha that are waiting for beds.
"That means children between the ages of 3 and 17 sleep on the floor, a futon, a bare mattress or co-sleep," according to Mike Prudhom, president of Sleep in Heavenly Peace, Racine/Kenosha Chapter. "We currently have 202 kids who are waiting for beds. This is after we have already provided 290 beds since we began in June of 2018."
According to studies, loss of sleep in children can result in obesity, depression, reduced immunity and it adversely impacts their ability to learn.
Sleep in Heavenly Peace, a national nonprofit organization, looks to curb bedlessness by building beds and delivering them free of charge. The beds come complete with a mattress, pillow, linens and a comforter. It costs about $175 to build and equip a bed.
The Racine/Kenosha Chapter’s goal is to get the 202 kids on our waiting list into bed by Christmas Eve. In order to do that, it needs to raise approximately $35,000, have four to 50 bed build days, and have 25 four-person delivery crews with a truck delivering eight beds each.
The upcoming schedule:
You have free articles remaining.
- October 19, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. — A men-only build sponsored by Man Up, a program of Great Lakes Church. The signup for their event is at https://glc.churchcenter.com/groups/groups/man-up.
- Nov. 2, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. — Open House for people to see what a build entails. Stations will be set up that day to illustrate what happens in a build. Attendees can visit with volunteers to find out what volunteering for this program is like. Refreshments will be served.
- Nov. 16, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. — A tentative public build (based on our ability to raise the necessary funds) open to all volunteers.
To donate, go to shpbeds.org/chapter/wi-racine-kenosha and click on the Donate Here button, or mail a check to PO Box 81614, Racine, WI 53408.
People can also visit the website to:
- Sponsor a build with a church or company (click on the Email Us button)
- Arrange to deliver beds with a team (click on the Email Us button)
- Donate bedding (click on the Email Us button)
- Request a bed, (click on the Request a Bed button)
For more information, contact Prudhom at 844-432-2337, ext. 5521, or email WI-Racine-Kenosha@shpbeds.org.