You are the owner of this page.
A1 A1
Brave new world: Foxconn shows off technologies at open house

MOUNT PLEASANT — For anyone who thinks Foxconn will only be making flat-panel screens or televisions at its future campus here, a visit to the ongoing open house will open up a whole new world of understanding.

Foxconn Technology Group is holding a two-day open house, which concludes today inside its leased building at 13315 Globe Drive, just east of Interstate 94 and south of Highway 20. The building is filled with demonstrations of what Foxconn, its subsidiary Sharp Electronics, and its suppliers and business partners are doing.

The building also is being used to perfect the robotics that Foxconn intends to use in its manufacturing processes when its $10 billion, 22-million-square-foot Wisconn Valley Science and Technology Park is operational.

The open house is proving to be a big draw: A Foxconn spokesman said an estimated 3,000 visitors had attended by 3 p.m. Friday, and the first day of the event continued until 7 p.m. It continues from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. today.

Foxconn’s dazzling 8K liquid crystal display (LCD) screens are omnipresent in the Foxconn building in their many forms, uses and potential uses. Standard high-definition screens are 1,920 by 1,080 pixels, while 8K is 7,680 by 4,320 pixels. That means 8K is about 16 times sharper than standard high definition, according to one of the many attendants staffing the open house. The result is that the images on the 8K screens look like reality — not pictures of something real.

The displays show how broadly Foxconn’s technologies are being, and can be, used. Applications include surveillance and security, transportation, education, healthcare and surgery, agriculture and numerous others.

Those technologies include the Internet of Things (interconnectivity between various devices); 5G, the newest version of cell phone technology; artificial intelligence; and 8K display screens.

Another technology on display showed, side by side, the difference between 60 frames per second and 120 fps video technology. The latter does a noticeably better job of capturing and displaying moving people or objects. With the same video being shown in both forms, with the 120 fps on the left and 60 fps on the right, Terry Harada of Tokyo-based Astrodesign said: “When we play this demo, I see everyone’s eyes just gravitate to the left.”

Much of the technology on display at the open house gives a glimpse into the future, as many of the displays show existing technology currently in the prototype and premarket stages. An example is a display that shows a camera trained on a newer $5 bill. Using Foxconn technology, the image on the screen shows the extremely tiny details on the bill, such as the words “USA FIVE USA FIVE” in the top of the tail of the “5” in the lower right corner.

In the works, said Wei Luo, the attendant at that station, Foxconn will make eyeglasses that could possibly let a person see that level of detail. That possibility is only two to three years in the future, he said.

3-D Wisconn Valley model

One of the most popular attractions during Friday’s open house was the approximately 18- by 27-foot tabletop model of the entire future Wisconn Valley Science and Technology Park — all 2,894 acres.

The labeled areas on the model campus include the thin film transistor LCD fabrication zone, the AI 8K+5G research-and-development section, two commercial development areas where Foxconn suppliers or other companies may locate, a mixed-use area and a high-technology park. The campus is dabbed with natural and man-made ponds, greenery and trees.

At the park’s center are the water treatment facilities that Foxconn promises will allow it to send no industrial discharge to the Racine Wastewater Treatment Plant at the Lake Michigan shoreline.

Another 3-D model shows the campus’ green data center, where Foxconn plans to selectively store data and keep the facility cooled by wind and solar power and passive building design.


People gather around a model of the Wisconn Valley Science and Technology Park at the Foxconn open house on Friday, June 29, 2018, in Mount Pleasant.


The Zap-X is an x-ray and radiation machine capable of treating a brain tumor in one treatment. Dr. John Adler, a professor of neurosurgery at Stanford University, designed the system. The machine was displayed during the open house June 29, 2018, at the Foxconn building in Mount Pleasant. 

Olivia Mackay case
Jury finds man guilty of first-degree homicide for killing Kenosha teen


KENOSHA — Twenty-year-old Daniel Tate faces life in prison following his conviction Friday for first-degree homicide in the strangling death of Olivia Mackay of Kenosha nearly a year ago.

A jury found Tate, of Kenosha, guilty after a four-day trial, convicting him of hiding a corpse and auto theft along with homicide.

As the verdict was read in Kenosha County Circuit Court, Tate remained expressionless, while members of his family quietly wept in the audience.

In his closing argument, Kenosha County District Attorney Michael Graveley said Tate used an online dating app to lure a naive 17-year-old girl, convincing her to meet him on July 23, 2017, telling her to tell her mother she was spending the night elsewhere so she could stay with him.

“She is caught in his net,” Graveley said.

After driving to Tate’s grandmother’s house on Sheridan Road, Mackay took Tate and his friend, Jamari Cook, to Racine in her car, then came back to Pennoyer Park in Kenosha where they got out and went to the beach.

While on the beach, according to Cook, also of Kenosha, who testified against his friend at trial, Tate strangled Mackay, put her body in the trunk of her car, then drove to Mount Pleasant, where he and Cook dumped her body along rural Louis Sorenson Road.

In his closing argument, Graveley asked the jury to “imagine Olivia” thinking that it was romantic sitting on the beach, “thinking this guy likes me” and thinking, as Tate sat next to her on the sand, that he was going to kiss her, not realizing until it was too late that his plan was to strangle her to death.

Car theft was the motive

Graveley argued during the trial that Tate’s motive in killing Mackay was the theft of her car, a Pontiac sedan. Before Mackay’s death, Tate had talked to a girlfriend about needing money and about stealing cars to get it. In the hours and day after her death, he contacted several people attempting to sell her car, his efforts captured in phone and Facebook messenger records.

Tate and Cook eventually parked the car near Kennedy Park on Kenosha’s lakefront, where it was found by Mackay’s family members who were searching for her.

Defense attorney Carl Johnson had attempted to discredit Cook’s testimony during the trial, and in his closing argument stated that the theory that Tate killed Mackay to steal her car did not make sense. “This is a very extreme measure to take someone’s car,” he said. “This is a pretty extreme act to do for $500.”

Johnson argued that physical evidence tied Cook, not Tate, to Mackay. Cook’s fingerprints were found on one of the garbage bags wrapped around her body. He said Cook had “plenty of time” to make up a story that shifted the blame to Tate.

The jury rejected that theory. Graveley argued that for it to make sense, the jury would have to discount the electronic trail tying Tate to Mackay, physical evidence that backed up Cook’s story, and Tate’s efforts in his discussion with police to blame a former classmate for the killing.

“I’m going to suggest to you that Jamari Cook and Daniel Tate are two peas in a pod, they are broken men,” Graveley told the jury, pointing out that hours after they dumped Mackay’s body they were messaging each other, Cook complaining that his back was sore, Tate complaining about mosquito bites.

Tate’s girlfriend was on bed rest at Ascension All Saints Hospital, awaiting the birth of their child on the night he killed Mackay. After the murder, Tate sent the girlfriend a series of messages saying he needed to tell her something important, something that might change her opinion of him, and asking her to promise that she wouldn’t keep their baby away from him after she learned what he planned to tell her.

When she expressed worry about him, he told her he was not stressed. “This is the life I chose,” he said.

Tate’s sentencing is scheduled for Aug. 20.



Andy Manis 

Sun Prairie's Maddie Gardner (16) catches Burlington's Jaina Westphal in a run down during the 3rd inning of the WIAA Division 1 championship game Saturday, June 9, 2018. Sun Prairie won 7-1. (Photo © Andy Manis)

Racine man arrested in connection to Monday homicide; victim identified


RACINE — A Racine man has been arrested for his alleged involvement in the Monday shooting death of a 31-year-old Racine man.

Francisco F. Ortiz, 21, of the 1300 block of Blake Avenue, is charged with first-degree intentional homicide with the use of a dangerous weapon.

Police issued a release Friday identifying the victim as Deshaun Honeycutt.

According to the criminal complaint:

Two shots-fired reports

On June 25, Racine Police responded to the 1300 block of Blake Avenue for two reports of shots fired during the early-morning hours. The first report came at about 2:30 a.m., with the second at about 3:30 a.m.

After the first report, officers did not locate anyone in the area. While investigating the second report, an officer was made aware of a nearby crash involving a Jeep in which the driver and sole occupant was found shot.

The driver, later identified as Honeycutt, died after being transported to the Ascension All Saints Hospital emergency room. An autopsy determined that the cause of death was a gunshot to the back which hit Honeycutt’s vital organs.

Officers found a handgun and at least six bullet holes in the Jeep, including one through the rear hatch. Police also found .40-caliber casings and a live .40-caliber round on the 1300 block of Blake Avenue, as well as marijuana and a lighter.

Witnesses said they heard six to eight gunshots at about 2:30 a.m., and an additional six to eight gunshots at about 3:20 a.m. A witness said after they heard the second series of shots, they heard loud music and a door slamming.

Another witness reportedly heard two vehicles leave at a high rate of speed after the second round of shots and said the electricity went out after hearing the vehicles speed off.

Gas station incident

An investigator reviewed surveillance video footage from the Marathon gas station, 3024 Rapids Drive. The investigator saw the Jeep later involved in the crash at the station, and saw it follow a white Camry out of the parking lot.

The video shows that prior to leaving, Honeycutt enters the station and waves or makes a gesture at the Camry, which is registered to Ortiz. Investigation revealed that Ortiz and a passenger were in the Camry at the Marathon station when it drove off.

The passenger said Ortiz picked him up from work and drove to the gas station, where they were talking to girls when the Jeep pulled in, almost hitting one of the girls. The witness said the Jeep followed them from the station onto Blake Avenue and stopped in the street near the Camry when they exited.

The witness said he was entering Ortiz’s house when he heard gunshots, turned back toward the street and saw Ortiz shoot about six times and the Jeep drive away. The witness started to walk home when Ortiz pulled up next to him and told him he would give him a ride home.

The witness said Ortiz asked “Why the dude make me do that?” The witness did not see a person in the Jeep with a gun, but said Ortiz said he saw the driver with a gun at the gas station.

Brother driving suspect vehicle

On Wednesday, officers conducted a traffic stop of the Camry and identified the operator as Ortiz’s brother. A black Glock handgun was recovered from his waistband.

Ortiz’s brother told police the gun was his and he had it from Sunday to Monday in his backpack in his car at work. The gun was sent to the State Crime Lab for analysis. The results were unavailable as of Friday.

Officers executed a search warrant at Ortiz’s home. In Ortiz’s bedroom, they found a magazine for a .40-caliber Glock with markings matching the magazine recovered from his brother’s Glock, an empty black nylon holster, two live 7.62-caliber bullets, an empty box for a .40-caliber 50-drum magazine, a sawed-off shotgun and an empty box of Browning .40-caliber ammunition.

The investigator noted that the ammunition box appeared to be the box for the silver/gray-colored .40-caliber ammunition and casings recovered as part of the investigation. A plastic bag with numerous multicolored, pill-like objects that appeared to be the illegal drug ecstasy also were reportedly found.

Ortiz is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on July 12 in Racine County Circuit Court. He remained in custody as of Friday night at the County Jail.