Letters From Readers: Obamacare success story

2014-02-18T00:15:00Z Letters From Readers: Obamacare success story Journal Times
February 18, 2014 12:15 am

Obamacare success story

I am an Obamacare success story.

I am 59 with no pre-existing conditions earning under $40,000 a year. For years I paid $400 a month for a $5,000 deductible plan — nothing was covered until I spent $5,000. It was like throwing 25 percent of my net income into the wind every month.

Today I pay $344 a month for a plan with a $2,000 deductible, co-pays for doctor visits and prescriptions, $200 co-pay to go to the emergency ward. (I paid $3,600 plus $600 doctor and $600 X-rays for a four-hour emergency ward stay due to a kidney stone in 2009).

I’m getting free preventive care including a colonoscopy, mammogram and blood test. I’m seeing a specialist for a problem I’ve had for years that “could maybe” develop into something serious. I will pay $60 to see the specialist. I couldn’t afford to spend money on “could maybes.” I will have some peace of mind.

Remember that Obamacare is not a form of health insurance. It is an avenue to help people afford health insurance.

Sign up, get some peace of mind.

Susan Maxwell

Racine

Copyright 2015 Journal Times. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(22) Comments

1. No Comment
    No Comment - February 21, 2014 6:50 pm
    2brn2b, penalizing employers who already pay big bucks to treat their employees well with astronomically high taxes is not leveling the playing ground. Those employers should pay the same taxes as other business, not not more.
  2. No Comment
    No Comment - February 21, 2014 6:37 pm
    You nailed the problem in the head! The rest of us are working our butts off to work and keep food on the table and a roof over our heads. And your relative get's fired (you're fired for a reason!) too lazy to find a job, and without any effort gets food on the table and money to spend money freely. Oh yeah, that's the American success story.
  3. No Comment
    No Comment - February 21, 2014 5:34 pm
    Employers should not be penalized so harshly for treating their employees with good insurance to the point where they're forced to cancel good plans. More people have been hurt by "obamacare" than helped. Don't consider that a success story at all.

Oh, for those out there who like ACA but not "Obamacare" or vise versa. Got news for you. "Obamacare" and ACA are one the same.
  4. Dutchie
    Dutchie - February 19, 2014 3:20 pm
    ACA levels the playing field...Nope. It puts 1/6 th of the economy into the govts hands and gives all control of all your information to do as they please. if you are on medicaid, when you die the govt can recoup prior money say from life insurance before your beneficiaries get it. I will bet money that if you get subsidies, fifteen years from now, the govt will recoup it with interest from any monies or sale of property before your children can touch it. Best of luck keeping that family home or heirlooms in the family. it already happens right now if you have in home care subsidized by your insurance. Found that out when my parents passed away. I will do everything to avoid Obamacare.
  5. Blindman
    Blindman - February 18, 2014 8:40 pm
    I am 46 and make about 40,000 per year...I have no insurance...The only time I go to the hospital is if I feel like I'm dying (That was once) or when I was younger and needed stitches or something and "routine maintenance"...My hospital bill is $0...It just goes to show that personal responsibility is a thing of the past and the health care industry is as out of control as the federal gov't
  6. Blindman
    Blindman - February 18, 2014 8:15 pm
    The only people signing up for this are the ones already on Medicare/Medicaid...I thought there was well more than 3.2 million of those
  7. outoftowner53105
    outoftowner53105 - February 18, 2014 12:49 pm
    Oh. I see. granny is making a prediction. Let's look at predictions from granny in the past and use that as an indicator of her accuracy in this matter.

Granny predicted that Walker would go to jail from the JD investigation. Failure NR1 for granny.

Granny predicted that concealed carry would turn Wisconsin into the wild, wild west. Failure NR2 for granny.

Granny predicted that Walker would lose the recall election which he ended up winning by a larger margin than the general election. Failure NR3 for granny.

Okay. Given granny' track record on making predictions from her perch in Florida, I think that we can reasonable assume that whenever granny predicts something, the likelihood is that the complete opposite will happen. Apparently, when low information voters such as granny make predictions, they are usually wrong.
  8. ordmm
    ordmm - February 18, 2014 11:57 am
    One of the side effects of ObamaCare I guess is less need than ever before for a Union in the workplace. Key components that the Unions always took your dues for, other than political contributions were for "health and welfare". Obamacare takes care of the Unions power of negotiation on the count. Most all of the workplace safety issues are taken care of by Gov't agencies like OSHA, as are discrimination and employment fairness issues as they always get decided in Federal court anyway. Nothing left for the Union to take your dues for. So I guess there may be a bit of a silver lining in the ACA---no real need for Unions. Goodbye Union vote--hello Gov't freebie vote.
  9. JT fact checker
    JT fact checker - February 18, 2014 10:41 am
    In granny's world, money doesn't matter. Who pays does not matter. All that matters is that things are fair. It is fair that my premiums double and this lady's premiums are halved. That is fair in granny's world. Really.
  10. 2brnt2b
    2brnt2b - February 18, 2014 10:35 am
    you're retired, aren't you.
  11. ordmm
    ordmm - February 18, 2014 10:33 am
    granny...this- "ACA is only the beginning" yeah, that's the problem.
  12. racinegirl0616
    racinegirl0616 - February 18, 2014 10:15 am
    While I'm happy that you are getting care that you need, it is being paid for by other people. I make under $40,000/yr and receive coverage through my employer...however, my premiums, copays, and office visits increased in price...I now pay $350/mo when I used to only pay $175/month. So while you're getting your "free" mammogram, think of me....cutting costs in my family to pay for it.
  13. racinegirl0616
    racinegirl0616 - February 18, 2014 10:11 am
  14. Dutchie
    Dutchie - February 18, 2014 9:49 am
    Susan your healthcare is affordable because of me. You are welcome. Mine costs more because of you. Thank you.
  15. Sebastian
    Sebastian - February 18, 2014 9:47 am
    And, just like everyone else who has become a ward of the state, Susan will be on government welfare for the rest of her life.
  16. ordmm
    ordmm - February 18, 2014 8:46 am
    Susan,,,,Looking at the deductible your subsidy is probably somewhere around $1200.00 to $1400.00. Maybe even more. So bravo for you having affordable insurance. Just remember the subsidy is being paid for by someone. It's pretty obvious that ObamaCare will fail based on the simple fact there will more in subsidies being paid out than in premium revenue coming in. Now here's where granny is right, ACA will not go away. No Gov't freebie program ever seems to go away as that's what brings the votes in. Somewhere down the road we'll see a single payer system based paid for by taxes. Happy days for liberals and progressives. The upside for people like Susan is probably for the first time in her life she gets a piece of Government welfare.
  17. Racines Finest Truth
    Racines Finest Truth - February 18, 2014 7:38 am
    Granny is right. I have a relative that had similar success with a similar program. He was fired and couldn't find work. Signed up for welfare and food stamps and reported back that he has a full refrigerator and spending money now without having to put time and effort into earning it. His safety net has been a resounding success. No thought or care about where that money came from. I also love the Journal. When aca is under fire, it'S "ACA", just as Pelosi calls it now. But today is a success story so now it's Obama care in the headline. For the record, Pelosi was laughed at on stage during a John Stewart interview (he's a dem too) by John and the audience at her very obvious ignorance regarding Obamacare. Humiliating for her I'm sure, considering her expertise on the subject.
  18. Cincinnatus Racine
    Cincinnatus Racine - February 18, 2014 7:05 am
    And if your income goes up by just a couple of thousand dollars, say a year end bonus or winning a pot at bingo, you will face the obamacare "subsidy cliff" and your insurance will cost you several thousand dollars more. Oh, and those subsidies you're getting are courtesy of your children and grandchildren, who are now paying far more, and those who already had good insurance but now are seeing benefits cut, and copays, deductibles, and premiums increase to pay for you.
  19. granny grits
    granny grits - February 18, 2014 6:47 am
    Medicare had problems when it first came out, too.

Additionally, I think you have comprehension problems or are willfully changing what I wrote. It says, 'will be a resounding success'. Notwithstanding republicans forty some attempts to repeal, ACA is here to stay.

Daily life and intellectual honesty must be a real challenge for you.
  20. outoftowner53105
    outoftowner53105 - February 18, 2014 5:55 am
    "A resounding success"

Resounding successes don not include programs with 29 changes and 3 year delays signed by none other than the person that enacted the law.

Resounding successes do not include only 3 million signups in over 4 1/2 months.

Calling 0bamacare a "resounding success" is like trying to pick up s**t by the clean end.
  21. granny grits
    granny grits - February 18, 2014 5:32 am
    Congratulations on being able to get affordable health care. The system may not be perfect, but every major initiative has glitches that need attention.

Eventually we will have a single payer system that will guarantee everyone equal access to preventative care. ACA is only the beginning and, in spite of republicans continual attempts to repeal, will be a resounding success.
  22. outoftowner53105
    outoftowner53105 - February 18, 2014 4:16 am
    No Susan, you are not getting "free preventive care".

Somebody else is paying for it.

Anybody that believes that they are getting something "free" is certainly unqualified to determine whether or not something is a success.
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Featured Racine-area Businesses

Lifetime Door - Brookfield, WI

As Wisconsin's largest Liftmaster and Haas garage door dealer, we're proud to offer:• Residential and/or co…

Sturino Funeral Home - Racine, WI

Sturino Funeral Home - Racine, WI

Gathering with friends and family gives everyone the opportunity to share memories, express …

Business Offer

Infusino's Banquet Hall Racine WI

Infusino's Banquet Hall Racine WI

Infusino's Banquet Hall Racine WI

Business Offer

Props Ahoy - Union Grove, WI

Props Ahoy - Union Grove, WI

With over 15 years experience in the propeller industry, Props Ahoy can repair, customize, o…

Business Offer