RACINE COUNTY — These services and processions have been planned in Racine County in observance of Memorial Day:
- Friday — A Memorial Day program with local veteran groups and Racine Honor Guard will be held at 1 p.m. at St. Monica’s Senior Citizens Home, 3920 N. Green Bay Road. The speaker is Adam Stoll. Music will be a military medley by mother and daughter, Dori Panthofer and Laura Panthofer.
- Sunday — Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs Memorial Day ceremony will be held at 11 a.m. at Southern Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemetery, 21731 Spring St., Union Grove. Veterans and the public are invited to attend. Seating will be available, but families are welcome to bring their own lawn chairs. Parking is available on the cemetery grounds. For more information, call (800) 947-8387 or visit the Web at www.dva.state.wi.us/events.
- Sunday — American Legion Bixby-Hansen Post No. 171 of Union Grove will hold its annual pilgrimage to area cemeteries by the Honor Guard. At each location there is a brief memorial service at the graves of departed comrades. The schedule: 8:15 a.m., Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery; 8:45 a.m., Scotch Settlement Cemetery; 9 a.m., St. Mary’s Dover Catholic Cemetery; 9:20 a.m., Yorkville Methodist Cemetery; 9:40 a.m., Pilgrim and Trinity Lutheran cemeteries; 10 a.m., Sylvania Cemetery; 11 a.m., Southern Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemetery.
- Monday — Organized by the Racine Area Veterans Council, the Racine Memorial Day Parade steps off promptly at 10 a.m. at West Boulevard and Washington Avenue and will end with a memorial ceremony at Graceland Cemetery’s Veterans Memorial, shortly after 11 a.m. with guest speaker Robert Turner.
- Monday — The Burlington Memorial Day Parade and ceremony honoring deceased veterans who served our country in time of war begins at 9 a.m. at the intersection of Wainwright Avenue and Kane Street and ends at the Veterans Memorial Building. The program in the park begins at 10:30 a.m. and lasts about one hour. There will be guest speakers and patriotic music by the Burlington High School Band. The Color Guard and Rifle Squad will fire a salute at the following: Waters edge in Echo Park, Veterans Memorial and Bed of Crosses, Mount Carmel Care and Pinebrook Point assisted living facilities, and the three Burlington cemeteries.
- Monday — The 15th annual Wisconsin POW-MIA National Balloon Launch of 10,000 balloons will be held at 2:45 p.m. at the Veterans Memorial grounds next to Badlanders Pub & Grill, 7922 S. Loomis Road, Wind Lake. A Memorial Day ceremony will be held at 2:45 p.m. A $5 Memorial Day food plate special will be available from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. There will be music. Grounds open at noon.
- Monday — A Memorial Day Remembrance Ride will be held at The Bunker, 29224 Evergreen Drive, Waterford. Sign up at 9:30 a.m., ride departs at 10:25 a.m., returning to The Bunker at 2 p.m. Cost is $10 per bike, $5 a passenger. All proceeds to go veterans charities. Food will be available from noon to 5 p.m. and live music by Black Frog will begin at 2 p.m.
- Monday — Memorial Day Observance at 10 a.m. at West Lawn Memorial Park, 9000 Washington Ave. Hosted by Sturtevant VFW Post 9948. Patriotic musical tribute by vocalist Cheryl McCrary with music by Kip Cushing. Special guests include the Rev. Don Johnson, Gary Bublitz of Post 9948, Alexis Kimmons, Elizabeth Suess, Sarah Martin, Don Uelmen and Barbara Mayfield. Taps by Mike Langendorf.
Visitors will see the traditional mounting of flags at the entrance of the park.
- Monday — The American Legion Essman-Schroeder Post No. 20, Waterford, announces these Memorial Day Services:
Honor Guard assemble at P. Lukas home, 7 a.m.; North Cape Cemetery, 8 a.m.; Norway Cemetery, 8:20 a.m.; St. Peter Cemetery, 8:40 a.m.; Assemble for parade at Waterford High School, 8:55 a.m.; Waterford parade, east on Main Street, 9:15 a.m.; Waterford bridge ceremony, 9:30 a.m.; St. Thomas Cemetery, 9:45 a.m.; Oakwood Cemetery, 10:15 a.m.; Caldwell Cemetery, 10:30 a.m.; Honey Creek bridge ceremony, 11 a.m.; Honey Creek Cemetery, 11:15 a.m.; lunch at Honey Creek Church at 11:30 a.m.; Rochester, 12:25 p.m.; English Settlement Cemetery, 12:50 p.m.; Rosewood Cemetery, 1:10 p.m.; Rochester Parade, assemble at Fire Station, 1:30 p.m.; and Rochester Park program, 2 p.m.
- Monday — The annual Memorial Day Service will begin at 9 a.m. in the Chapel at Mound Cemetery, 1147 West Blvd. The service will be conducted by the Rev. Daniel R. Feldscher, interim pastor of St. John’s Lutheran Church. The 30-minute service will include scripture readings, patriotic hymns accompanied by organist Arthur Preuss Sr. and a brief sermon. Immediately following the service will be a wreath laying ceremony with gun salute in front of the Mound Cemetery Chapel honoring all who served our country in the military. The Memorial Day celebration will continue with the parade on West Boulevard.
- Monday — American Legion Harvey Funk Post 494, Caledonia, will conduct Memorial Day services with a rifle salute at these cemeteries: 9 a.m., McPherson Cemetery, 7100 block of Highway K, Raymond; 9:15 a.m., Oak Grove Cemetery, Highway G and 76th Street, Raymond; 9:30 a.m., St. Louis Cemetery, 13207 Highway G, Caledonia; 10 a.m., Trinity Lutheran Cemetery, 7 Mile and Nicholson roads, Caledonia; 10:30 a.m., Caledonia Memorial Cemetery, 6800 block of Nicholson Road, Caledonia; 11 a.m., Caledonia-Mount Pleasant Memorial Park, highways K and H, Caledonia; 11:30 a.m., Harvey Funk Post 494, 4700 block of Highway 41 (East Frontage Road), Caledonia. A noon lunch will be served by the Post 494 Ladies Auxiliary.
- Monday — Bixby-Hansen American Legion Post No. 171, Union Grove. Starting at 9:15 a.m. at American Legion Park, Union Grove, there will be a program featuring a guest speaker, the A.L. Auxiliary will present awards to the poppy poster, and essay contest winners. The Union Grove High School Band will perform. Following the program, a procession to Union Grove Cemetery will conclude with a memorial salute by the Post Honor Guard. A Post 171 family picnic will follow at 11:30 a.m., sponsored by Miller-Reesman Funeral Home. For more information, call (262) 878-3323.
- Monday — The 145th Annual Memorial Day Service in Rochester Cemetery to honor those who have served our country will begin at 11:30 a.m. Following the service, the parade kicks off at 1:30 p.m. and travels through Rochester to conclude at Pioneer Park on the Fox River. Attendees will then gather for a ceremony in Pioneer Park to include music, speakers, and a salute to the men and women that serve our country. The ceremony will conclude with a lowering of the wreath into the Fox River in memory of those fallen.
- Monday — Somers American Legion David Leet Post 552 is organizing a Memorial Day Observance at 11 a.m. with Sunset Ridge Memorial Cemetery at 6211 38th St., Kenosha. Ashley Birkholz will place the memorial wreath with the help of her parents Rick and Maryann Czarnowski.