Suspect in 2005 triple homicide brought to court

2013-05-10T12:29:00Z 2014-06-27T11:29:55Z Suspect in 2005 triple homicide brought to courtCARA SPOTO cara.spoto@journaltimes.com Journal Times

RACINE — It was a bloody fray.

Eight people shot, three dead.

That is what officers found when they arrived in the 1300 block of Washington Avenue at 2 a.m. on July 17, 2005.

An officer had heard the gunfire just minutes earlier but by the time his colleagues arrived on scene, blood had already been shed.

Frank Mister, 23, was lying on the sidewalk unresponsive, his legs spilling on to the street. Ryan Lockridge, 23, was in a nearby parking lot with a bullet wound to his head. Aaron Woods, 23, was on the ground. He wasn’t breathing and he had a weak pulse.

On Friday, nearly eight years after she lost her son, Woods’ mother Mary Helena wept openly in a Racine County courtroom as Assistant District Attorney Jacalyn LaBre read a grisly list of charges against her son’s accused killer — 29-year-old Juwan Matthews of Racine.

After years of investigating Matthews, police believe they now have the evidence to convict him for killing Woods and Lockridge.

Matthews, who appeared via video conference for his initial appearance, faces two counts of first-degree intentional homicide, for those deaths, and four counts of attempted first-degree intentional homicide for injuring four others.

His bond was set at $500,000. A preliminary hearing has been set for 9 a.m. Wednesday.

If convicted, Matthews could spend the rest of his life behind bars.

Each of the first-degree intentional homicide charges he faces carry the possibility of life in prison. Each attempted first-degree intentional homicide charge carries the possibility of 60 years in prison.

Police Chief Art Howell sat in the courtroom along with Investigator Chad Stillman and other officers during Matthews’ initial appearance.

Asked if Matthews was “the only suspect” in the 2005 killings, Howell said: “He’s the one that we have enough to arrest.” 

Howell said solving the bloody 2005 case has long been a priority for the department.

“When we started doing cold case reviews in 2009 one of the first things we wanted to do is reach out to the family members, and let them know that their loved ones were not forgotten, that their cases were not forgotten and the department was working hard on a regular basis to bring the people responsible to justice,” he said.

When they went looking for cold cases to review, they kept an eye out for cases, like the 2005 triple homicide, where previous detectives had retired. The main objective, he said, was “to refresh the cases.”

Although Matthews, who has been serving time on federal drug charges in California, had been investigated for the triple homicide before, momentum in the case against him picked up in late 2011 and 2012 when Stillman took over.

The criminal complaint against Matthews released Friday details interviews between Stillman and alleged witnesses to the shooting who put Matthews, gun in hand, at the scene. Stillman said Friday that a lot of things led to police being able to charge Matthews with the crime — witnesses coming forward who had been apprehensive in the past, new leads, and a good working relationship with the Racine County District Attorney’s Office.

Speaking to reporters he described what led to the gang-related shooting, allegedly spurred by a crooked game of dice.

“Greed, money, weapons and pride were involved,” he said. “Some people thought they were done wrong and it led to violence and more violence.”

Woods told reporters that while she appreciates the work investigators have done to bring someone to justice for the slayings, especially since she had thought the police department had forgotten about her and the families of the dead, it is still cold comfort.

“To the families who have a loss such as this there are no winners,” she said. “Whether someone is convicted or not we are still going to be grieving.”

Copyright 2015 Journal Times. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(7) Comments

  1. Realtruth
    Report Abuse
    Realtruth - May 12, 2013 8:24 pm
    If you look at the linked 2005 article that goes with this story you can see that Matthews was identified right away in this case. It wasn't a lack of leadership and Matthews was wanted to the point of being placed on one of those Most Wanted shows which led to his arrest in Chicago. Seems that the delay in charging came from the district attorney's office wanting more information.
  2. Voice of Reason 53402
    Report Abuse
    Voice of Reason 53402 - May 12, 2013 6:58 am
    Your right, but what I wrote was wahlen was in charge of the investigation! He was supervisor of the Detective Bureau at the time.
  3. tginmn
    Report Abuse
    tginmn - May 11, 2013 12:23 pm
    Too bad WI doesn't, have the death penalty. Now the tax payer will have to pay for keeping him.
  4. Racine Writer
    Report Abuse
    Racine Writer - May 11, 2013 9:16 am
    It was actually Chief Spenner who was in charge at the time of the homicide.
  5. Voice of Reason 53402
    Report Abuse
    Voice of Reason 53402 - May 11, 2013 8:25 am
    Is that suppose to be BRAVO to Chief Whalen? Are you serious? Wahlen was in charge of the investigation at the time of the crime. It was under his lack of leadership that the case languished and faltered. It was not until Art Howell later took charge of the Detective Unit that the case regained traction. Furthermore, under Wahlen's administration this case had no priority, could not get resolved, nor could it get any cooperation from former District Attorney Mike Nieskes. So, the bravos should go to the current administration and investigators for their diligence in working on this case. I give a "dumbs down" to the people who followed the "No Snitch" agenda as they knew what went on out there and refused to cooperate with the police. I guess it is ok for people to die and then talk about the police for doing nothing, but they say nothing about the witnesses that hold the information and refuse to give it up because they "don't snitch". Of the three offenders in this case, one died at the scene, one has now been charged and one is still at large. Good job RPD, now go get the last one!
  6. bigboyohboy
    Report Abuse
    bigboyohboy - May 10, 2013 7:39 pm
    Lets hope huh?
  7. Urban Pioneer
    Report Abuse
    Urban Pioneer - May 10, 2013 3:12 pm
    Bravo to Racine's assorted law enforcement agency's working together to get this guy in court. That was quite a story back in 2005. For those who think crime is rampant in Racine..I would point out the fact that these violent shootings have almost completely ended in Racine. Big drug wrap ups, and scooping up gangsters in our area. Notice Chicago has gone the exact opposite direction. Brave to retired Chief Wahlen. Let's hope Art Howell will keep up the good work.
Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Featured Racine-area Businesses

Infusino's Banquet Hall Racine WI

Infusino's Banquet Hall Racine WI

Miller-Reesman Funeral Home

Miller-Reesman Funeral Home

Miller-Reesman Funeral Home and Cremation Service provides full-service burial and cremation…

Business Offer

TOTAL FURNITURE Open four to save you more!

TOTAL FURNITURE   Open four to save you more!

Total Furniture is SE Wisconsin's #1 furniture store for value, customer service and selecti…

Business Offer

Infusino's Restaurant

Infusino's Restaurant

Infusino's Pizzeria & Restaurant

Business Offer

Poll

See more polls
Loading…

Should hunters have the option to wear blaze pink?

View Results