RACINE – The suspect in a Tuesday morning home invasion is the same man acquitted this spring in the gang-related killing of a 12-year-old boy, Racine police said Wednesday.
Tarence A. Banks, 33, of Racine, allegedly attempted an armed invasion of a home in the 3200 block of 17th Street around 1:56 a.m. Tuesday. A man in the home shot Banks, seriously injuring him, according to police.
Banks was taken to Wheaton Franciscan-All Saints hospital, 3801 Spring St., and later to Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa with serious but non-life-threatening injuries, police said. An update on his condition was not available Wednesday from Froedtert officials or police.
Banks had reportedly been living in the 3200 block of Victory Avenue, in a home immediately behind the one he allegedly attempted to rob; the two houses share a backyard property line, according to neighbor Trudie Cudney, a 48-year-old stay-at-home mom and member of the Neighborhood Watch.
Banks moved into the home around May, Cudney said.
Banks was released from prison and placed on extended supervision on May 30, Wisconsin Department of Corrections records show.
Banks was sentenced to six years in prison and another four years on extended supervision on Oct. 30, 2008, for a conviction in a December 2006 robbery, Racine County court records show.
His extended supervision had been set to expire on May 30, 2017, DOC records show.
Banks was acquitted on May 10 of first-degree intentional homicide for his alleged role in an unrelated case — the April 22, 2007, drive-by shooting that left 12-year-old Marize Jones dead. The shooting also injured the boy’s brother and two women. The retaliatory drive-by occurred in the 1600 block of Albert Street and was the third of three purportedly gang-related shootings that day.
Banks was accused of being one of the three shooters who fired into the crowd gathered outside that night. Prosecutors had said the .38-caliber bullet that killed Marize was fired from Banks’ gun, but jurors found him not guilty.
As of Wednesday afternoon, Banks had not been formally charged in Tuesday’s alleged home invasion, court records show. But he had been placed on a probation hold in connection with the incident, Racine Police Sgt. Jessie Metoyer said.
Police declined to release the name of the man who shot Banks, but Metoyer said there is so far no information that would lead to charges for that individual. She added that police would not be releasing any additional information regarding the incident for at least the next few days.
Repeated attempts to reach Banks’ family, the man who allegedly shot him or that man’s family were unsuccessful Tuesday and Wednesday.
Journal Times reporter Kristen Zambo contributed to this article.