Subscribe for 17¢ / day
Racine Fire Department News

RACINE — A child playing with a lighter in a bedroom reportedly caused a house fire with an estimated loss of $20,000.

According to a press release from the City of Racine Fire Department, firefighters and the Racine police were dispatched to the 1000 block of Mayfair Drive at 12:12 a.m. on Saturday to find smoke coming from the upstairs window of a unit in a duplex.

According to the release, the fire was put out quickly, but the property sustained an estimated $20,000 in damage. No injuries were reported and the adjacent unit wasn’t damaged.

One of the children told officials they’d seen another child start the fire with a lighter, according to the report. The five individuals living in the affected apartment told officials they’d stay with friends while repairs were underway.

1
1
2
2
5

Tags

Load comments