Here’s a vegetarian pizza the whole family will love, and it takes less time than sending out for one. I used a whole wheat flour tortilla as the base for this quick pizza. It provides an ultra-thin crust allowing the toppings to be featured.
For speedy preparation, look for sliced or diced vegetables in the produce department or on a salad bar. Any type of vegetables can be used for the pizza. Use the amounts in the recipe as a guideline.
- The vegetables can be sliced in a food processor fitted with a slicing blade.
- Any type of tortilla can be used. Make sure it is about 10-inches in diameter.
- Any type of pasta sauce can be used.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line baking tray with foil and place in the oven while it pre-heats.
- Prepare vegetables and assemble pizza.
- To buy: 1 small eggplant,1 small zucchini, 1 small green bell pepper, 1 package 10-inch flour tortillas, 1 bottle pizza sauce, 1 small package shredded part-skim milk mozzarella cheese and 1 bottle dried oregano.
- Staples: olive oil, onion, salt and black peppercorns.
Recipe by Linda Gassenheimer
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small eggplant, sliced, (about 2 cups)
1 medium onion, sliced (about 2 cups)
1 medium zucchini, sliced, (about 2 cups)
1 medium green bell pepper, sliced, (about 2 cups)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 10-inch whole wheat flour tortillas
1 cup bottled reduced-sodium pizza sauce
1 cup shredded, part-skim milk mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking tray, large enough to hold the 2 tortillas, with foil and place in oven while it is preheating.
Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant, onion, zucchini and green bell pepper. Sprinkle the oregano and salt and pepper to taste on top. Saute 5 minutes.
Place the tortillas on the baking tray in the oven for 1 to 2 minutes. They should be golden and crisp. Remove the tray from the oven and spread the pizza sauce over the 2 tortillas.
Place the sauteed vegetables over the sauce. Place the shredded mozzarella over the vegetables. Return the tray to the oven for 5 minutes or until the mozzarella melts.
Yield 2 servings.
Per serving: 601 calories (32 percent from fat), 21.3 g fat (9.2 g saturated, 6.3 g monounsaturated), 48 mg cholesterol, 31.3 g protein, 75.9 g carbohydrates, 15.4 g fiber, 866 mg sodium.